State News : Alabama

NWCDN is a network of law firms dedicated to protecting employers in workers’ compensation claims.

NWCDN Members regularly post articles and summary judgements in workers’ compensations law in your state.  

Select a state from the dropdown menu below to scroll through the state specific archives for updates and opinions on various workers’ compensation laws in your state.

Contact information for NWCDN members is also located on the state specific links in the event you have additional questions or your company is seeking a workers’ compensation lawyer in your state.





Today marks 100 years since Governor Thomas Kilby signed bill 26-1 into law thereby creating what is now known as the Alabama Workers’ Compensation Act.  Back then, it was known as the Alabama Workmen’s Compensation Act.  The law later went into effect on January 1, 1920.  Although there has been some recent controversy as to the constitutionality of the Act in its current state, it remains a better alternative to employees having to prove tort liability and tort liability exposure for the employer.  As the Honorable E.R. Mills so adeptly stated in his Singletary v. Mangham Construction,
418 So.2d 1138 (Fla. 1st DCA, 1982) opinion, “Workers' compensation is a very important field of the law, if not the most important. It touches more lives than any other field of the law. It involves the payments of huge sums of money. The welfare of human beings, the success of business, and the pocketbooks of consumers are affected daily by it.”



About the Author

This blog submission was prepared by Mike Fish, an attorney with Fish Nelson & Holden, LLC, a law firm dedicated to representing self-insured employers, insurance carriers, and third party administrators in all matters related to workers’ compensation. Fish Nelson & Holden is a member of the National Workers’ Compensation Defense Network. If you have any questions about this submission or Alabama workers’ compensation in general, please contact Fish by e-mailing him at or by calling him directly at 205-332-1448.